What is the cost of developing an app? This is probably the first question that arises in our mind when we have an idea for which we want to develop an app, but no one has a concise answer for it.
The cost to develop an app varies depending on several factors such as: the complexity of the app, the number of features, the platform on which it will be built, the location of the development team and the length of the development process.
Now, before jumping into understanding the factors that impact the cost of the development of an app – let’s understand the global revenue of the applications. Knowing about the global revenue will give you an insight into the average ROI that you can be generated after investing in the application development process.
The global revenue of the applications is increasing by many folds. To gain major market shares, you need to invest in digitalizing your idea.
Now, let’s understand the estimated cost factors that can impact your entire application development process. In the below article, you will get to know about the estimated costs of developing an application, the cost of popular global apps, factors affecting the cost of development and many more.
Estimated cost of developing a mobile application
The app development cost starts from $2,000 and can go up to $250,000. The cost will increase with the complexity of the app. As per complexity, the average app cost by GoodFirms research is:
- $40,000 – $60,000 for a simple app (comes with basic UI Design, and essential features).
- $60,000 – $70,000 for a medium complex app (comes with advanced features and custom UI).
- $70,000 – $100,000 for a highly complex app (time-consuming features, complex design and maintenance).
If you want to create a basic app then it can cost nearly $25,000. Apps with advanced features cost $40,000 – $70,000. While a complex app can cost more than $70,000.
These rates are when we have considered the per-hour rate is $50/hr. As you can observe, there are huge variations in the price of developing an app. Because developing an app depends on several factors such as features, platform (iOS or Android), developer’s experience, location, and many others. This is the reason you can’t get the exact cost just by searching on “Google” about it.
Read more: Utilize This Verified Guide To Hire React Developers in 2023
Popular global apps and their development cost
Many of us spend an ample amount of time on the most popular social media and other applications. Do you ever wonder how much money you require, if you want to develop a similar application?
- Facebook: The development cost for Facebook is estimated to be around $500,000 to $1,500,000.
- Instagram: The development cost for Instagram is estimated to be around $400,000 to $800,000.
- Snapchat: The development cost for Snapchat is estimated to be around $500,000 to $1,000,000.
- YouTube: The development cost for YouTube is estimated to be around $500,000 to $1,500,000.
- Google Maps: The development cost for Google Maps is estimated to be around $500,000 to $1,500,000.
Factors affecting app development cost:
All the below-mentioned factors cannot be neglected while calculating the average cost to develop an app. In reality, there can be hundreds of factors that determine the mobile app development cost.
In the below section, the top 7 factors are considered that are connected with the cost to build an app in 2023:
The cost of developing an app can vary depending on whether it’s being built for iOS, Android, or both. Additionally, the development tools and frameworks used for iOS and Android can also vary. If the app is to be developed for both platforms, the development team will need to have expertise in both.
React Native is a cost-effective app development platform because it allows developers to use a single codebase to create apps for both iOS and Android platforms.
This means that instead of writing separate code for each platform, developers can use one codebase, which can save a significant amount of time and effort. You can also accelerate your application development process by hiring react native developers.
The complexity of the app’s features and functionality can also have an impact on the cost. The complexity of an application directly affects its cost. More features and functionality require more resources.
Additional testing and maintenance also increase expenses. A simpler application can be developed and maintained at a lower cost. Careful planning and design can minimize complexity. High complexity can lead to delays and unexpected expenses.
A well-designed, streamlined application can save money in the long run. Read this article to learn about the best way to speed up your mobile app development process. Get rid of struggling with app development complexities and speed up your process.
The cost of design can vary depending on the level of detail and complexity of the app’s interface and user experience. Design choices impact the cost of an application. A well-designed application is easier to develop and maintain.
Poor design can lead to delays and added expenses. Careful planning and design can minimize complexity and cost. The user experience should be a top priority in design. Aesthetics and brand consistency also play a role in design.
A good design can increase user engagement and retention. A bad design can lead to costly redesigns and lost business. For an optimized and innovative UI/UX design, your app development cost can be increased.
#4: Development Team
The cost of app development can be affected by the size and experience of the development team working on the project. The development team can greatly impact the cost of an application.
Skilled developers can produce high-quality code efficiently. Inexperienced developers may require more oversight and training. A dedicated team can work more quickly and effectively than outsourced labor.
Team size and experience level can affect the cost of development. A large team with specialized roles can increase costs. A smaller, experienced team can be more efficient and cost-effective. Choosing the right development team is crucial for staying on budget. Although, you can outsource your project by connecting with full-stack development companies.
The location of the development team can also affect the cost of app development. The location also affects the cost of office space and employee benefits. The cost of living and taxes also vary depending on the location.
Onshore development can be more expensive but may improve communication and collaboration. Offshore development can save money but may introduce language and cultural barriers.
Choosing the right location for the development team can greatly impact the overall cost of the application. To minimize your average cost to develop an app, you can best hire remote developers.
#6: Maintenance and Updates
The cost of maintaining and updating the app after it has been launched can also be a significant factor. Maintenance and updates can significantly impact the cost of an application. Regular updates and bug fixes are necessary for user satisfaction.
Security patches and compliance updates must also be implemented. A well-maintained application can improve user retention and engagement. Neglecting maintenance can lead to security breaches and lost business.
Continuous integration and delivery can streamline updates and reduce costs. Outsourcing maintenance can save money but may introduce communication challenges.
In-house maintenance can ensure better control and quality but may be more expensive. Maintenance cost is an important part of an app development cost breakdown. So, connect our development team for the app maintenance functions.
#7: Third-party Integrations
The cost of integrating third-party services such as push notifications, analytics, and payment processing can also affect the overall cost of app development. Third-party integrations can greatly affect the cost of an application.
Integrating with established platforms can save development time and cost. Custom integrations may be more expensive and require more resources. Third-party services can add functionality and improve user experience.
However, they may also increase maintenance and update expenses. Licensing and subscription fees for third-party services can add costs. Integration testing and troubleshooting can also add to development expenses.
Carefully assessing the need and cost-benefit of third-party integrations is important. It is crucial to have a clear understanding of the costs and benefits of third-party integrations.
Read more: Importance of Mobile App Development For Fostering Business Growth
Building apps for multiple platforms and their costs
Do you want to develop an iOS app? Or does your audience prefer Android smartphones? Or you have to develop an app for both platforms? Before deciding the platform of your app, you have to focus on your target and find the share of iOS & Android devices among them.
Developing a mobile application on iOS and Android differs a lot. There are different programming languages involved, in iOS, it is Swift and Objective – C while in Android it is Java & Kotlin. They come with different SDK along with different tools.
We can’t say that there is a huge price difference for developing on iOS or Android (if you are aiming at app development) on a single platform. However, if you want to develop the app for both platforms, then you should be ready with a big budget for mobile app development services.
Cross-platform development is the process of developing apps that can run on multiple platforms, such as iOS, Android, and web. This allows developers to write code once and deploy it across multiple platforms, reducing the cost and time of development.
There are several frameworks and tools available for cross-platform development – such as React Native, Flutter, Xamarin, and Ionic. These frameworks use a single programming language and provide a set of tools and libraries for building apps that can run on multiple platforms.
Features complexity also impacts the cost of development
The number of features & functionalities and the complexity of those features is the most important factor when deciding the app development cost. The number of screens, buttons, fields, forms, logics, all are equally important.
There are third-party APIs (such as: social media logins, payment methods, shipping methods, etc).
In contrast to a complex app, simple solutions require fewer features. It takes 13-18 hours to implement a basic search or push notifications in a basic admin panel.
Time and Cost breakdown by features:
|Map||– User location |
– Searching location on the map
– Setting pickup point on the map
|75-110 hrs||$1,875 – $2,750|
|Payments||– Amount balance|
– Transactions History
– Adding Cards
|60-80 hrs||$1,500 – $2,000|
|Streaming||– Start/stop broadcast|
– View broadcast
– Switch between broadcasts
|90-140 hrs||$2,250 – $3,500|
|Calls||– Audio Calls|
– Video Calls
– Contacts List
|257-365 hrs||$6,400 – $9,000|
Application/Software development rates across regions
The demographic region from which you are hiring a mobile app development team can greatly impact its cost. Also, developers with a vast experience of 5+ years will definitely cost more in comparison to novices. Here are some regions with their per-hour costs:
- Canada: $50-250
- USA: $50-300
- Latin America: $30-50
- UK: $50-170
- Western Europe: $35-170
- Eastern Europe: $20-250
- India: $18-80
- Australia: $50-150
The highest development costs are in the USA, Europe, Canada, and Australia. But a high price doesn’t ensure quality. It also doesn’t matter from which country the developers are. What matters is their experience and previous projects completed?
How to find out the development cost of your app?
To determine the development cost of your app, you will need to consider the various features and functionality that the app will require. This includes things like the number of screens, whether or not the app will need to integrate with any third-party services, and the overall complexity of the app. Additionally, it’s important to factor in the design, user experience, and app testing to get an accurate estimate of the cost.
There are a few different ways to estimate the development cost of your app:
- Use an app development cost calculator: As previously mentioned, there are various app development cost calculators available online. These calculators typically ask for information about the app’s features, functionality, and platform requirements, and use this information to estimate the cost of development.
- Consult with app development agencies: You can also reach out to app development agencies or companies and request a quote for your app project. Be sure to provide them with a detailed description of your app’s features and functionalities.
- Develop a rough project plan and budget: You can also come up with a rough project plan and budget for your app development by breaking down the project into smaller tasks and estimating the time and resources required for each task. This will give you an idea of the overall cost of the project.
For example, if you’re building an MVP for an e-commerce app, the cost will likely be lower than if you’re building a more complex app like Uber or Netflix. To estimate the cost, you can use the formula:
Number of Hours (400 hours – hypothetical) x Hourly Rate ($25 – hypothetical) = Cost of Developing the App will be $10,000.
Additional associated costs
There are mainly two additional associated costs:
- Launching app fees.
- Maintenance costs.
Effective Strategies to Minimize Mobile App Development Costs
Implementing cost-effective measures during the mobile app development process can significantly impact your project’s overall success. By adopting smart strategies, businesses can optimize their resources, reduce expenses, and ensure a streamlined workflow. In this article, we will explore practical techniques to minimize app development costs without compromising on quality or performance.
- Prioritize features: Focus on crucial app functionalities for driving business value; build an MVP first and save non-essential features for later stages.
- Involve quality assurance early: Include QA professionals from the beginning to identify and address bugs and errors before development starts, saving costs in the long run.
- Plan for the future: Be mindful of short-term and long-term goals during app development, which can result in cost savings.
- In-house vs outsourcing: Choose between in-house or outsourced development, as this decision will impact budget, workflow, and maintenance.
- Consider cross-platform development: Opt for cross-platform apps that work on both Android and iOS, using technologies like Flutter, Unity 3D, and React Native, to reach a wider user base and reduce costs.
- Leverage open-source resources: Save time and money by using open-source libraries and tools, which offer pre-built functionalities and accelerate the development process.
Read more: Top 9 Backend Frameworks for Web App Development in 2023
Launching App fees
The cost of launching an application can vary depending on the platform and market. Submitting an app to the Apple App Store and Google Play Store can cost a one-time fee of $99 and $25 respectively.
The cost of maintaining an application can vary depending on the complexity and features of the app. Monitoring and troubleshooting are necessary to ensure the app is functioning properly and any issues are resolved promptly.
Updating and patching are needed to fix bugs, improve performance, and ensure security. Infrastructure costs such as hosting, databases, and cloud services are also important to consider. Providing user support and assistance with technical issues or questions is another aspect of maintenance.
Most expensive IT capabilities that aren’t cost-effective
- Custom software development can be expensive and not always necessary.
- High-end hardware can be costly to maintain.
- Complex integrations may not provide significant benefits.
- Proprietary software licenses can add to expenses.
- Outsourcing can be costly and not always effective.
- Advanced security measures may not be necessary for all organizations.
- Focusing on cost-effective solutions such as open-source technologies and cloud services can be a better alternative.
- It’s important to evaluate the cost-benefit of IT capabilities before implementation.
Free APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) are a way for developers to access data or functionality from other applications or services. In the IT industry, there are many free APIs available for use in various projects. Some examples of popular free APIs include:
- Google Maps API: which allows developers to add mapping and location functionality to their applications
- OpenWeather API: which allows developers to access current weather data and forecast information
- Twitter API: which allows developers to access tweets, user profiles, and other information from Twitter
- News API: allows developers to access current news articles and headlines from a variety of news sources
- Spotify API: allows developers to access music data and functionality from Spotify
- Open Exchange Rates API: allows developers to access exchange rate data for a wide variety of currencies, making it useful for financial and e-commerce applications.
- OpenCage Geocoding API: allows developers to convert physical addresses to coordinates and vice versa.
Using free APIs can save development time and resources, as well as provide additional functionality to an application. However, it is important to note that usage limits and terms of service may apply and should be checked before using the API.
Read more: What are the Important Questions To Consider During Hybrid Apps?
The Final Words
If you have done great research and your idea has good future potential then app development costs are a one-time investment before doing great business. All the development costs can be returned by profits in a few months after the app launch.
At Amplework Software, a leading mobile app development company, we pride ourselves on providing top-quality services at an affordable hourly rate ($25/hr). Our team is experienced and dedicated to delivering the best results for our clients.